Classes, workshops and demos are offered throughout the year in our gallery. To register, complete the downloadable Registration Form and return it with your payment or call 904.824.2310 to sign up by phone.
UPCOMING ART STUDIO WORKSHOPS
Intro to Hand-Building with Local Clay: a one-day pottery workshop with Herrick Smith | January 25, 2020
Local artist Herrick Smith will lead a hands-on, step-by-step workshop on hand-building methods and techniques using locally dug clay and local temper. Students will be introduced to northeast Florida’s ceramic history and clay, choice of temper, design techniques for pit firing, and they’ll learn to train their vernacular glance to find or make decorative tools from the environmental elements that surround us everyday.
During a break from the hands-on portion of the workshop there will be a BYO lunch-and-learn session including an overview of St. Augustine’s ceramic heritage with examples dating back 5000 years!
Registration: $75 for non Art Association members; $70 for members. Fee includes: tools, locally dug St. Johns County clay, and one bisque firing. The workshop is currently full. Please call (904) 824-2310 if you would like to be placed on a waitlist.
Suggested Items to bring:
- Sketchbook and pen
- Sketches of pottery ideas
- Pocket knife for carving
- Items to use as stamps
- Hand towel and/or apron
- Sketches of shapes you might like to build
- Lunch for Lunch-and-Learn session
The Power of Shape in Plein Air Painting – workshop with Jeff Markowsky | March 28 & 29, 2020
Artist Jeff Markowsky, winner of the 2019 Plein Air Best in Show Award, will lead a two-day workshop on plein air painting. Students are invited to draw inspiration from historic downtown St. Augustine with its subject matter of vibrant street scenes and picturesque architectural structures. Learn the fundamentals of painting en plein air by building forms with value, creating depth, and designing dominant shapes in a painting — all before paint is even applied to the canvas!
Space is limited. Artists registered for the 2020 St. Augustine Plein Air Paint Out will receive a discount on the workshop registration fee.
Ideal for beginner and intermediate painters. In the workshop artists will learn:
- To draw Notans (light & dark elements) and transcribe the concept into small oil paintings
- The fundamentals of value, hue, saturation and temperature and how to build form with value
- The illusion of depth through fore, middle and background
A complete supply list will be sent to participants, but suggested items to bring include: a pochade or outdoor easel, oil paints, brushes, panels (8×10 & 10×12), brush cleaner, paper towels, water.
Registration: Artists registered for the 2020 Plein Air Paint Out – $175 • Artists NOT registered for the 2020 Plein Air Paint Out – $200.
NON-INSTRUCTIONAL STUDIO SESSIONS
- Figure Drawing Sessions – Weekly on Monday nights at 6pm live model sessions. Gestures and long poses. A non-instructional intensive weekly studio session with the live model. Gestures, short and long poses offer a focused environment for studying the human form. Participants may work in any medium. Easels, tables and chairs provided. StAAA Members: $10 model fee. Call (904) 824-2310 for more information.