CALL FOR ART: Fantastic Florida
November 3 – December 30
In-Gallery & Online
The Sunshine State shines here! This vivid display explores a wide range of artistic interpretations and scenes of Florida, from the plants and animals to the wilderness and waterways, to the people and places.
Works may be any medium or style, but must fit the “Fantastic Florida” theme. Judged for acceptance and awards.
The Fantastic Florida Exhibit is generously sponsored by:
Members receive discounts on exhibit entry fees, art sale commissions, workshops, and may show their work in the Fall and Spring Members Shows – which are only judged for awards! You can join at the same time as entering your work, or do it separately by clicking the button below!
If you don’t remember paying your membership dues recently, it may be time to renew! Membership renewal notices can sometimes be overlooked or forgotten, so check if your membership is still active by clicking the button below!
by Rebecca Lemmon
What can I enter?
- Artists may submit TWO (2) original 2D or 3D works in any medium and style that pertain to the “Fantastic Florida” theme: Plants, animals, wilderness and waterways, people and places of Florida.
- 2D works must be ready to hang with secure wire on back.
- 2D works may be no larger than 48 inches on any side including the frame.
- 3D works may be no larger than 36 in x 24 in x 24 in to fit on a pedestal; 60 in high x 36 in x 36 in for free-standing 3D art.
For full exhibit guidelines, see below.
by Barbara Kennerly
“At Marineland Beach”
by Cynthia Pierson
How is the show judged?
This is a juried exhibit. All judging takes place in-person, and entry fees are NONREFUNDABLE, even for works that are juried out.
- After entering online, works MUST be brought to the gallery by the drop off dates listed below. Judging for acceptance and awards takes place in-person (not from the digital photos submitted) after the Artwork Drop-Off hours have concluded.
- Key factors that judges look at: planning & composition, proficiency & execution, presentation. Judge’s decisions are final.
- You will be notified on Thursday via phone call if:
- You win an award. (But we won’t tell you what you won!)
- Your work was not accepted. (We ask that you pick it up at your earliest convenience!)
- Awards will be presented during First Friday Art Walk (November 3) at 7:00pm.
Awards include the Jean Wagner Troemel Best in Show award ($500), The Alice and Clark Alger Most Creative Award ($250) and First through Fourth places.
by Kathleen Thompson
When do I drop off & pick up my artwork?
Upon completing the online form and making your payment, you will receive an email that confirms the receipt of submission. This email will include all the details, which are also on the entry page and listed below, about delivering your artwork in time for judging. It is the artist’s responsibility to make sure their work is ready and brought to the gallery (located at 22 Marine Street, St. Augustine, FL 32084) by the receiving dates and times listed below and that work is promptly retrieved at the end of the show.
REMINDER: Work left after 60 days is considered an unrestricted donation to the St. Augustine Art Association.
Tuesday, October 31 (11:30 AM – 5:30 PM)
Wednesday, November 1 (11:30 AM – 5:30 PM)
Saturday, December 30 (12:00 PM – 4:00 PM)
Tuesday, January 2 (11:30 AM – 5:30 PM)
Wednesday, January 3 (11:30 AM – 5:30 PM)
“Backyard Still Life with Greenery”
by Nancy Hamlin-Vogler
by Maura Hendry
“A Sunny Place
by Marilyn Terry
What are the exhibit guidelines?
Artists may enter TWO (2) original 2D or 3D works in any medium or style. All work must pertain to the “Fantastic Florida” theme.
- 2D works may be no larger than 48 inches on any side, including the frame.
- More than two works submitted by one artist will not be accepted and refunds will not be given.
- Works may not have been previously exhibited in any STAAA show where awards were given out.
- Artwork will be displayed both in-gallery AND online. Works must be delivered to the gallery to be judged for acceptance and awards and to be listed for sale online.
- All entry fees are NONREFUNDABLE, even if an entry is juried out or an artist fails to deliver it in time for judging. It is the artist’s responsibility to make sure their work is ready and brought to the gallery by the receiving dates and times listed above and that work is promptly retrieved at the end of the show. REMINDER: Work left after 60 days is considered an unrestricted donation to the St. Augustine Art Association.
Works and frames must be dry, with wire the length of the back secure on back for hanging (2D) and framed or gallery-wrapped with a minimum of 1.5 inch thick finished (painted) edges. ABSOLUTELY NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS! Unfinished edges include: dirt marks or paint smudges, paint spilling over the edge (even the slightest amount), fraying canvas. Do not use tape on your edges. Any canvases with edges less than 1.5in thick must be framed.
- 2D Artwork that is not secure in its frame (if framed) or unsteady 3D work.
- Artwork that has been exhibited in any STAAA show where awards were given out.
- Giclees or reproductions.
- Artwork over 48 inches on any side including the frame.
- Kits or mass-produced items.
- Plagiarism: if your piece is a recreation of someone else’s image or work of art and not obviously made different, consider entering something else.
by LuAnn Dunkinson
How do I enter?
To submit your artwork:
- Complete the online form below.
- Upload high-quality image(s) of your artwork (jpg, png, jpeg, pdf; max file size is 5MB). Make sure your file name does not have any punctuation or special characters (periods and dashes are the only acceptable characters besides letters and numbers for file names).
- Provide your payment information and click the “Submit” button. Artwork submitted without payment will not be accepted or presented to the judge.
- You should receive a confirmation email within a few minutes outlining the details on delivering the artwork to the gallery in time for judging. Check your spam folder if you do not see it in your inbox. If you do NOT receive a confirmation email, your submission did not go through. Check your spam folder.
- Bring your artwork to the gallery on the Receiving dates and times listed above.
NEED HELP? If you’re having trouble with the online form: MAKE SURE YOUR INTERNET BROWSER AND DEVICE ARE UP TO DATE; make sure the url has HTTPS; make sure all fields are properly filled out with correct information; make sure that your file name does not have any punctuation or special characters (periods and dashes are the only acceptable characters besides letters and numbers for file names). CLICK HERE FOR HELP.
CARDHOLDER NAME FIELD giving you trouble? Clear your browser cache to make sure webpages are loading properly on your device! Click here to learn how.
Enter online by Monday, October 30, 3:00 PM
- $15 per piece for active STAAA Members
- $35 per piece for Non-Members
- $7 per piece for Student Members
- $25 per piece for Student Non-Members
Programs & Exhibits of the St. Augustine Art Association are funded in part by grants from the the St. Johns County Tourist Development Council, the St. Johns County Cultural Council, and the Community Foundation of Northeast Florida.