CALL FOR ART: Adventures en Plein Air
Original paintings produced during the St. Augustine Plein Air Paint Out create an irresistible artistic tapestry of the nation’s oldest city. An art collector’s delight!
Judged for acceptance and awards.
Thank You to Our Exhibit Sponsor:
The Awards for this exhibit include:
- $1,000 – Avery St. Jean Best in Show Award
- $700 – John Mayer First Place Award
- $500 – Brightway Insurance Second Place Award
- $300 – John Mayer Third Place Award
- $100 – Barwick Banking Co. Fourth Place Award
- $200 – Romanza Award
“Scooter at Marine Supply”
by Alison McCauley
What can I enter?
- Each artist may submit THREE (3) original works painted during the 7th Annual St. Augustine Plein Air Paint Out.
- Works may be no larger than 36 inches on any side including the frame.
- Artwork must have visible plein air stamp on the back.
- Works must be framed and ready to hang with secure wire on back.
For full exhibit guidelines, see below.
“Gardens at the Lightner”
by Martha Ferguson
How is the show judged?
All judging takes place in-person, and entry fees are NONREFUNDABLE, even for works that are juried out.
- After entering online, works MUST be brought to the gallery by the drop off dates listed below. Judging for acceptance and awards takes place in-person (not from the digital photos submitted) after the Artwork Drop-Off hours have concluded.
- Key factors that judges look at: planning & composition, proficiency & execution, presentation. Judge’s decisions are final.
- You will be notified on Thursday via phone call if:
- You win an award. (But we won’t tell you what you won!)
- Your work was not accepted. (We ask that you pick it up at your earliest convenience!)
- Awards will be presented during First Friday Art Walk (May 5) at 7:00pm.
by Rosamond Parrish
“Ximenez-Fatio on Aviles”
by Abby Howard Murphy
When do I drop off and pick up my artwork?
Upon completing the online form and making your payment, you will receive an email that confirms the receipt of submission. This email will include all the details, which are also on this webpage, about delivering your artwork in time for judging. If you do not receive that email, your entry did not go through. Also check your spam folder.
It is the artist’s responsibility to make sure their work is ready and brought to the gallery by the receiving times listed below, and that work is promptly retrieved at the end of the show. Contact STAAA if you are unable to make these dates and times. Finished artwork may be left on the artist’s final day of painting. REMINDER: Work left after 60 days is considered an unrestricted donation to the St. Augustine Art Association.
Works are not judged by the digital images submitted. Judging takes place in-person.
Artwork Drop-Off Dates
Finished artwork may be left on the artist’s final day
of painting or dropped off on:
Tuesday, May 2 ( 11:30AM – 5:30PM )
Wednesday, May 3 ( 11:30AM – 5:30PM )
Artwork Pick-Up Dates
Sunday, May 28 ( 12:00PM – 4:00PM )
Tuesday, May 30 ( 11:30AM – 5:30PM )
Wednesday, May 31 ( 11:30AM – 5:30PM )
For non-local artists who wish to enter work into the exhibit, artwork can be shipped back to you.
The artist is responsible for return shipping costs.
by James Newman
“On the Water”
by Kathleen Thompson
What are the exhibit guidelines?
Artists may enter up to THREE (3) original works that were painted during the 7th Annual St. Augustine Plein Air Paint Out.
- Works may be no larger than 36 inches on any side, including the frame.
- More than three works submitted by one artist will not be accepted and refunds will not be given.
- Works may not have been previously exhibited at STAAA.
- NO STUDIO WORK MAY BE DONE ON THE ENTERED PAINTING(S).
- Artwork will be displayed both in-gallery AND online. Works must be delivered to the gallery to be judged and to be listed for sale online.
All entry fees are NONREFUNDABLE, even if an entry is not accepted or the artist fails to deliver it in time for judging. It’s the artist’s responsibility to make sure their work is ready and brought to the gallery by the receiving dates and times listed above, and that work is promptly retrieved at the end of the show. Contact STAAA beforehand if you’re unable to make the dates/times. REMINDER: Work left after 60 days is considered an unrestricted donation to the St. Augustine Art Association.
- Artwork must have visible plein air stamp on the back.
- Works must be dry, framed and ready to hang with secure wire on back.
ABSOLUTELY NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS! PIECES MUST BE SECURE IN THE FRAME.
WORKS CAN AND WILL BE ELIMINATED FOR FAILING TO MEET PRESENTATION REQUIREMENTS.
- Artwork that was not painted during the 7th Annual Plein Air Paint Out.
- Artwork that was worked on or finished in a studio rather than completed on location.
- Artwork that is not secure in its frame.
- Artwork over 36 inches on any side including the frame.
- Plagiarism: if your piece is a recreation of someone else’s image or work of art and not obviously made different, consider entering something else.
by Montgomery Triz
How do I enter?
To submit your artwork:
- Complete the online form below.
- Upload high-quality image(s) of your artwork (jpg, png, jpeg, pdf; max file size is 5MB).
- Provide your payment information and click the “Submit” button. Artwork submitted without payment will not be accepted or presented to the judge for inclusion and awards.
- You should receive a confirmation email within a few minutes outlining the details on delivering the artwork to the gallery in time for judging. Check your spam folder if you do not see it in your inbox. If you do NOT receive a confirmation email, your submission did not go through. Check your spam folder.
- Bring your artwork to the gallery on the Receiving dates and times.
NEED HELP? If you’re having trouble with the online form: MAKE SURE YOUR INTERNET BROWSER AND DEVICE ARE UP TO DATE; make sure the url has HTTPS; make sure all fields are properly filled out with correct information; make sure that your file name does not have any punctuation or special characters (periods and dashes are the only acceptable characters besides letters and numbers for file names). CLICK HERE FOR HELP.
Enter online by Monday, May 1, 3:00 PM
- REGISTERED PLEIN AIR ARTISTS ONLY (2023) $10 per piece
Programs & Exhibits of the St. Augustine Art Association are funded in part by grants from the the St. Johns County Tourist Development Council, the St. Johns County Cultural Council, the Community Foundation of Northeast Florida, and the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Arts and Culture, the Florida Council on Arts and Culture, and the National Endowment for the Arts.